haddock issue building ghc-7.8 from git

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 09:29:46 UTC 2014

On 14/03/14 09:01, Matthias Fischmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When building from git (branch ghc-7.8 as of today), I run into a
> haddock issue because __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ appearently is not 709 on my
> system.  Not sure whether this is a bug, and if it should go to
> trac/haddock or trac/ghc, so I decided to post it here.
>
> My "fix" is easy enough (even though I ran into other problems later,
> so I don't really know how well it works):
>
> | ~/src/ghc/utils/haddock/src/Haddock$ git diff
> | diff --git a/src/Haddock/InterfaceFile.hs b/src/Haddock/InterfaceFile.hs
> | index 924829d..19a742f 100644
> | --- a/src/Haddock/InterfaceFile.hs
> | +++ b/src/Haddock/InterfaceFile.hs
> | @@ -76,14 +76,14 @@ binaryInterfaceMagic = 0xD0Cface
> |  -- (2) set `binaryInterfaceVersionCompatibility` to [binaryInterfaceVersion]
> |  --
> |  binaryInterfaceVersion :: Word16
> | -#if __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ == 709
> | +-- #if __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ == 709
> |  binaryInterfaceVersion = 25
> |
> |  binaryInterfaceVersionCompatibility :: [Word16]
> |  binaryInterfaceVersionCompatibility = [binaryInterfaceVersion]
> | -#else
> | -#error Unsupported GHC version
> | -#endif
> | +-- #else
> | +-- #error Unsupported GHC version
> | +-- #endif
> |

> |  initBinMemSize :: Int
>
> thanks,
> matthias

The master branch of Haddock has that test for a reason: anyone working
on Haddock will be doing so using GHC HEAD which is at 7.9. Haddock has
a separate branch (named ghc-7.8) which is the candidate that will go
into 7.8.

If you're building GHC 7.8, you should be on that branch for Haddock and
all the other libraries. IIRC you can pass some arguments to the
sync-all script which will do all the switching for you but I forgot
what it was. I'm sure someone else can chime in.

--
Mateusz K.