Building GHC for performance testing

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 09:50:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'd like to set up a performance build bot for GHC, but before I can do
that I need a script that reliably builds GHC and runs nofib. Do we have
such a script? Here's a strawman proposal for one:

    cabal install happy alex
    git clone git://git.haskell.org/ghc.git
    cd ghc
    ./sync-all --nofib get
    perl boot
    ./configure
    make
    cd nofib
    make clean
    make boot
    make -k mode=slow

Questions:

 * Does this look sensible?
 * Is there a way to only build and run a subset of the benchmarks?
 * Are there any tweaks to mk/build.mk we can do to make the build faster
without compromising the results?
 * Is there a way to do this in a cheap throwaway VM like travis-ci does?
Could such a VM already provide GHC and the required libs to make the whole
thing hermetic?