RFC: Phabricator for patches and code review

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Fri Jun 6 12:59:36 UTC 2014

No, at the moment Phabricator is not integrated with any testing
functionality. It could be, but that would be a bit of work I think to
integrate with GHC's ./validate process. It would be nice to have
long-term, however, but I don't think it's necessary right now - I run
./validate before every push out anyway just in case.

If you do need a machine to help run builds, a recommendation: sign up
for AWS. A GHC build can be done in < 1hr on those machines, and an
x1.xlarge for example would cost you about .28c USD to run for that
period. It's less than optimal, but I'm not the only one who has
resorted to this on less-than-adequate machines...

Another recommendation is to make sure you've got the right build
settings, which can have a pretty dramatic impact on build times. See
here: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Hacking and also
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Using#HowtomakeGHCbuildquickly

--
Regards,