RFC: Phabricator for patches and code review

Ömer Sinan Ağacan omeragacan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:13:22 UTC 2014

>  2) Phabricator in particular makes it very easy to submit patches for
> review. To submit a patch, I just run the command 'arc diff' and it
> Does The Right Thing. It also makes it easy to ensure people are
> *alerted* when a patch might be relevant to them.

This sounds really good. I was thinking about sending an email about
this for a while now. I'm reading some parts of GHC and there are lots
of small patches I'd like to submit for reviews. Most of the time
these are <10 lines of changes. But trac makes everything so hard and
the interface is so horrible, I'm ending up not sending the patch.
Also, testing is a huge problem for me. I can't test GHC on my
laptop(which is my only development environment) because it takes
forever to finish.

With something like Github and a CI server(Jenkins/Travis/whatever)
integrated to the Github repository that runs tests on pull request,
it would be super easy for new contributors to submit small patches.

As far as I can understand(altough currently I can't see how to send a
patch) Phabricator helps sending pull requests/patches, but does it
help with testing too?

---
Ömer Sinan Ağacan
http://osa1.net