RFC: Phabricator for patches and code review

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jun 6 14:09:43 UTC 2014

Piggybacking a bit on Ömer's point:

It is often the case that something flies by that I can fix in a few moments (for example, #9163) but that I have to defer until I have enough time for a GHC hacking session. Making even a tiny patch requires that I'm up-to-date, that my unchanged tree compiles (and, if I have time, validates!), and then, after the patch, that everything validates again. This generally means that I don't touch GHC unless I have 3+ hours *that day* to devote to GHC -- there are enough commits that I don't want things getting too stale if I can't validate the same day I update. Compounding the problem, my desire for efficiency leads me to accumulate GHC tasks, meaning that my time requirements become even worse, making it harder to get anything done.

It sounds like, perhaps, Phab isn't the answer, but a way to create a lightweight, *untested* patch that doesn't require all of this would be simply wonderful. Experience has told me even to be scared of just adding comments without a validate!

Is there such a facility now? How hard would it be to create one?

Richard