Status updates

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 14 16:28:04 UTC 2014

Cherished GHC devs,

GHC has long since exceeded the modest capacities of GHC HQ, even before Simon M's move to Facebook.  But in fact Simon's move simply made clearer something that was already true, namely that GHC is *mainly* reliant on the committed support of its developer community (i.e. you).  I am hugely grateful for all that you do, as are all Haskell users -- thank you.

I'm happy to say that Microsoft Research is continuing to fund Well Typed to offer front-line support for GHC, which currently takes the visible and energetic form of Austin.  He and Simon and I have a weekly Skype call to coordinate what we are going to do.

However, I feel that we have been less good at communicating with all of you, about what Austin is currently doing, and what we plan to do, when.  This has been particular visible recently, when the 7.8 releases have been repeatedly delayed, often with good reason, but we haven't been very good about keeping you in the loop.

So henceforth Austin is going to send you a weekly roundup, on Mondays, saying
	- what he has been up to
	- what he plans to do this week
	- what he'd like help with
I'm hoping that this will help to keep you all better informed.  Perhaps you can do the same when you are actively working on things.

Keeping accurate, timely, and friendly communication going among GHC developers is very important.  Please yell if it's going wrong, and suggest ways to make it better.

Thanks again

Simon