[commit: ghc] master: Add Windows to NoSharedLibsPlatformList (4af1e76)

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Tue Jan 14 10:16:25 UTC 2014

First off, I would really like any help with Windows, and I'm more
than willing to give advice, help, or even access to hardware if
people are interested to test their work.

Second, the state we're currently in basically leaves us the way 7.6.3
was. This technically isn't a regression, but it leaves the 64bit
Windows build in a fairly unsatisfactory position due to the bugs, as
they were in the last release.

However, dynamic for Windows is the biggest thing holding up the RC,
and we're behind schedule (people are ready to move on) - so in light
of this, the RC will likely move forward shortly with these in the
same state (which is unfortunate, but we decided to punt it in a
decision last week.) It's sad to say that we have so few Windows
hackers, it's hard to hold up for so long on this issue. But you can
help change all of this!

During the RC period, I would very much welcome fixes for some of
these issues, and be more than willing to assist you where possible to
do that (including detailing what I've learned.)

See the status email I sent to the list for some more details.

PS. I don't know if you use IRC, but it's easily available and there
are several GHC hackers in #ghc on irc.freenode.org, including myself,
so if you can spare any time it might be faster than emails. Also be
sure to read over https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building -
especially the "Getting started for developers" section, which will
help you with some of the mechanical GHC workflows.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 5:08 AM, kyra <kyrab at mail.ru> wrote:
> More on this:
>

> On 1/13/2014 14:51, kyra wrote:
>>
>> The last would be better, because dynamic-linked Windows GHC has longer
>> load time (which can jump to intolerable 2-3 secs, which happens, I guess,
>> when we approach 64k exported symbols limit).
>

> "which can jump to intolerable 2-3 secs" refers to different *builds* of
> GHC. Some builds had load times in the order of tenths of a second, some -
> up to 2-3 secs. For example ghc-7.7.20131210 load time was more than 2 secs.
> When I've rebuilt it lowering funfolding-creation-threshold significantly,
> load time lowered to tenths of a second.

Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant