Validating with Haddock

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 18:39:36 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 18:21, Austin Seipp wrote:
> Yes, the skipped tests are normal. The testsuite has a concept of
> tests being built a certain 'way' - for example, you might test a
> piece of code by making sure it works compiled with -threaded,
> non-threaded, profiling, the LLVM backend, or any combination of
> those, etc. So a single *test* gives rise to multiple *test cases*.
>
> When you run validate, it runs it in a 'fast' mode by default as
> opposed to the slow mode. The fast mode only runs a subset of the
> overall test cases - it runs the most basic tests per file, which
> generally gives a pretty good indication as to what is going on.
>
> Also, the performance failures you're seeing are (I speculate) due to
> out of date performance numbers. Sometimes these numbers go up or down
> just due to code churn, but they're sometimes finnicky, because they
> may depend on the exact time a major GC happens or something. So a
> small wibble can cause them to sometimes occasionally fail.
>
> In any case, these results seem to indicate your branch looks quite
> OK, so I can try to merge this soon, if you think it is actually
> complete and ready.

These are the numbers from the clean tree. I will now merge in my
changes, validate again, run Haddock test suite and let you know how it
went. If I see similar results, I'll assume it's fine.

I greatly appreciate the help I've been getting on this thread.

@Simon H.
Do you think that the new features could be merged fairly soon too, if
the basic parser stuff checks out? Does anything extra need doing?

--
Mateusz K.