[commit: packages/base] master: Improve error messages for partial functions in Data.Data (d0b74ca) (Gabor Greif)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Jan 2 10:19:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 02.01.2014, 10:54 +0100 schrieb Krzysztof Langner:

> I'm not sure about it. From my experience it is better to leave error
> messages as simple as possible. Since when using functions in error
> messages it is possible that this function will fail and then you will
> get confusing error message (from inside function).

for most pure Haskell functions, you can be quite certain that they
don’t fail, by following simple rules (complete patterns, no use of
partial functions like head or fromJust). So while this is might be true
in other programming languages, here you can put trust in Haskell’s type
system – if it compiles, it works.

Greetings,
Joachim

--