Offering GHC builder build slaves

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 12:17:23 UTC 2014

> I have four (one in slings due to a busted PSU) reasonably powerful (if old) Dell
> Precision T3500s that can provide a variety of x86 and x86_64 OS builds on
> Xeon.  They currently run SmartOS, but they can run other x86 and x86_64
> guests.

I think the best would be if we could cover all the possible and
probable combination of architectures and platforms and avoid the
redundancies.

So far, we have the following: Solaris x86, Linux/arm and Linux/ppc64
(by Karel), FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 (by myself), and Mateusz
has written me about setting up a Linux x86 builder on Gentoo.  We
could certainly use Linux x86_64 builders, so as 32-bit and 64-bit Mac
OS X and Windows ones.  Regarding Linux, there might be builders for
each of the distributions, however, I am not sure if need to store
downloadable snapshots for all of them.

> I'll send my first build slave username and password off list to you later today.

You do not have to, I can generate both for you, once the OS and the
architecture is known.

> Once I have that working I'll document the current process for volunteering and
> setting up build slaves.

I think this has been already covered on the GHC Developers' wiki, there:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Builder

Note that this page is also linked from the front page of the wiki.