Offering GHC builder build slaves

Alain O'Dea alain.odea at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:16:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

> On Apr 8, 2014, at 12:17, Páli Gábor János <pali.gabor at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have four (one in slings due to a busted PSU) reasonably powerful (if old) Dell
>> Precision T3500s that can provide a variety of x86 and x86_64 OS builds on
>> Xeon.  They currently run SmartOS, but they can run other x86 and x86_64
>> guests.
>
> I think the best would be if we could cover all the possible and
> probable combination of architectures and platforms and avoid the
> redundancies.
>
> So far, we have the following: Solaris x86,

I think SmartOS can reasonably stand in for Illumos and Solaris x86_64 and can run Ubuntu x86_64 as a KVM guest.

> Linux/arm and Linux/ppc64
> (by Karel), FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64 (by myself), and Mateusz
> has written me about setting up a Linux x86 builder on Gentoo.  We
> could certainly use Linux x86_64 builders, so as 32-bit and 64-bit Mac
> OS X and Windows ones.  Regarding Linux, there might be builders for
> each of the distributions, however, I am not sure if need to store
> downloadable snapshots for all of them.
>
>> I'll send my first build slave username and password off list to you later today.
>
> You do not have to, I can generate both for you, once the OS and the
> architecture is known.

Cool, that's easier.  I usually use AlainODea or alainodea as my base username, but that's immaterial.

The two build slaves I intend to run are:
- x86_64 Solaris (on SmartOS)
- x86_64 Linux (on Ubuntu as a SmartOS KVM guest)

>> Once I have that working I'll document the current process for volunteering and
>> setting up build slaves.
>
> I think this has been already covered on the GHC Developers' wiki, there:
>
> https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Builder

Good point.

It needs some minor tweaks since the volunteers need to request a username and password by providing their OS and architecture to the list rather than sending their username and password to the list.