How accessible is a dynamically-linked ghc?

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at
Wed Jul 10 21:42:27 CEST 2013

  1) How much effort does it take for a user to install a
dynamically-linked ghc executable on Tier 1 platforms? Just download the

  2) Are the major GHC distributors planning on distributing
dynamically-linked ghc by default? GHC HQ, Haskell Platform,

Bonus question:

  3) How many platforms support Core plugins but not a dynamically linked

I'm hoping the answer is "zero". The availability of a dynamically-linked
ghc looks good, according to the wiki pages I found. It's not so clear to
me regarding support on Windows.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. — Here's the wiki pages I read. Their up-to-dateness is not clear to
me. Please let me know if you see that I missed something.

=== Core plugins — nub is 2 years old

=== building and using shared libraries (aka "dynamic libraries") — very much alive and
useful —
summarizes GHCI behavior — 4
years old — good info in comments; 1.5
years old

=== default behavior of an entire GHC installation — 8 months old