adding avx register support to x86_32 as well as x86_64?

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 04:04:10 CEST 2013

Yeah,  I do like how the 7.8 calling convention allows up to 6 Double args
to go in registers.

Thats a good idea actually,

so it'd be adding

  // Pass in STG registers for  128bit simd vectors
  CCIfType<[ v16i8, v8i16, v4i32, v2i64, v4f32, v2f64],
            CCIfSubtarget<"hasSSE1()",
            CCAssignToReg<[XMM1, XMM2, XMM3, XMM4, XMM5, XMM6]>>>,

// Pass in STG registers for first 7  256bit simd vectors
CCIfType<[v32i8, v16i16, v8i32, v4i64, v8f32, v4f64],
                          CCIfSubtarget<"hasAVX()",
                          CCAssignToReg<[YMM0, YMM1, YMM2, YMM3,
                                         YMM4, YMM5, YMM6]>>>

to the X86_32 convention then. so floats and doubles would still be spilled
to stack, but SIMD  (short vectors) could use the registers as applicable.

That would preserve calling convention compatibility, but still allow
adding SIMD to 32bit x86.

If that'd be kosher / looks good, please indicate so on the ghc trac
ticket, so i can fold this into the patch on the llvm-commits list post
haste. Would rather not have it be a whole separate patch