NOTICE: The Big Gitolite Switch

Austin Seipp aseipp at pobox.com
Fri Aug 9 19:32:31 CEST 2013

Hello all,

Herbert and I have decided to do the Gitolite migration today, since
it's a slow Friday and there should be small impact overall.

We will be performing the switch at 8:30pm UTC/GMT, which is almost
exactly three hours from now. We expect it will take less than thirty
minutes.

For all active developers, the changes you should follow are here, to
get your new push URLs working correctly:

http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GitolitePlan#Developerchanges

For all people who cloned the tree: you don't need to do anything. The
old URIs will continue to work.

Finally, for the record, after the switch we will have a lot of great
improvements thanks to Herbert, including:

 * Smart HTTP access for git, which should make cloning over HTTP fast
(in case you're behind a firewall.)
 * git protocol access, for fast clones and development. Cloning GHC
via git:// takes less than 25 seconds.
 * A brand-new gitweb interface, which can be located at
git.haskell.org - note the CNAME entry for the domain isn't there yet.
We're waiting to get the entry in place so you can use it.

Let me know if any questions or concerns. Thanks!