NOTICE: The Big Gitolite Switch

Austin Seipp aseipp at pobox.com
Thu Aug 8 19:46:11 CEST 2013

Hello all,

Following our proposal from about a week ago, Herbert and I plan to
make the Gitolite migration happen Real Soon Now. If possible, we
would actually like to have it happen tomorrow, although that's
understandably a bit too short of a window of warning perhaps.
However, commit activity has been low the past two weeks, so sometime
in the next few days is probably the best window (Simon gets back
August 15th, so we would like something in place by then.)

We already have just about everything in place I believe. This is a
final call for anyone who might need shell access or something of the
sorts. I envision the plan will go like this:

 * We will turn off push access to the repositories, AND turn off
shell access, by revoking SSH keys temporarily from everyone in the
'darcs' group (don't worry, there will be backups.)
 * I'll take everyone who has committed to any of the repositories in
the last 1yr and add them to the new setup. That'll cover most of the
current group, I think. There may be some people who were recently
added but haven't committed yet. I'll try to remember everyone, but
please yell if there is a problem.
 * We'll make the switch to gitolite by reinstating the SSH keys that
are already there, and reopen the tree.

We WILL NOT be deleting the existing user accounts. I don't want to
possibly destroy something left there. Instead, if you would like, you
can just email me and I'll re-add your key if necessary to get your
stuff back.

I expect this will be a very short and easy migration. Herbert has
already given details of changing your existing trees via ./sync-all
as well:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ghc-devs@haskell.org/msg01781.html

I will follow up with a reply to this email containing precise details
on the switch, including the expected downtime window, and what time
it will be happening. Please let me know if you have questions or
concerns.

--
Regards,
Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671