NOTICE: The Big Gitolite Switch

Austin Seipp aseipp at
Fri Aug 9 22:54:18 CEST 2013


Push access is now temporarily being disabled while I ask for your
patience. I'll let you know when we're done.

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at> wrote:
> Hello all,
> Herbert and I have decided to do the Gitolite migration today, since
> it's a slow Friday and there should be small impact overall.
> We will be performing the switch at 8:30pm UTC/GMT, which is almost
> exactly three hours from now. We expect it will take less than thirty
> minutes.
> For all active developers, the changes you should follow are here, to
> get your new push URLs working correctly:
> For all people who cloned the tree: you don't need to do anything. The
> old URIs will continue to work.
> Finally, for the record, after the switch we will have a lot of great
> improvements thanks to Herbert, including:
>  * Smart HTTP access for git, which should make cloning over HTTP fast
> (in case you're behind a firewall.)
>  * git protocol access, for fast clones and development. Cloning GHC
> via git:// takes less than 25 seconds.
>  * A brand-new gitweb interface, which can be located at
> - note the CNAME entry for the domain isn't there yet.
> We're waiting to get the entry in place so you can use it.
> Let me know if any questions or concerns. Thanks!
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Austin Seipp <aseipp at> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> Following our proposal from about a week ago, Herbert and I plan to
>> make the Gitolite migration happen Real Soon Now. If possible, we
>> would actually like to have it happen tomorrow, although that's
>> understandably a bit too short of a window of warning perhaps.
>> However, commit activity has been low the past two weeks, so sometime
>> in the next few days is probably the best window (Simon gets back
>> August 15th, so we would like something in place by then.)
>> We already have just about everything in place I believe. This is a
>> final call for anyone who might need shell access or something of the
>> sorts. I envision the plan will go like this:
>>  * We will turn off push access to the repositories, AND turn off
>> shell access, by revoking SSH keys temporarily from everyone in the
>> 'darcs' group (don't worry, there will be backups.)
>>  * I'll take everyone who has committed to any of the repositories in
>> the last 1yr and add them to the new setup. That'll cover most of the
>> current group, I think. There may be some people who were recently
>> added but haven't committed yet. I'll try to remember everyone, but
>> please yell if there is a problem.
>>  * We'll make the switch to gitolite by reinstating the SSH keys that
>> are already there, and reopen the tree.
>> We WILL NOT be deleting the existing user accounts. I don't want to
>> possibly destroy something left there. Instead, if you would like, you
>> can just email me and I'll re-add your key if necessary to get your
>> stuff back.
>> I expect this will be a very short and easy migration. Herbert has
>> already given details of changing your existing trees via ./sync-all
>> as well:
>> I will follow up with a reply to this email containing precise details
>> on the switch, including the expected downtime window, and what time
>> it will be happening. Please let me know if you have questions or
>> concerns.
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671
> --
> Regards,
> Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671

More information about the ghc-devs mailing list