Cabal File Pretty Printer

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Wed Feb 26 15:44:32 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Tillmann Rendel <
> rendel at> wrote:
>>  1. change `cabal init` to use the pretty printer.
>>  2. expose the pretty printer at the command line.
> Agreed on both points. We should add (2) as `cabal format` (similar to
> go-fmt) or something like that.

Speaking of which, has anyone considered an extensible cabal-install
interface, something like what git provides? It seems somewhat unreasonable
to me to require stuff like this to be added by recompiling, if
cabal-install can be taught to look for plugins (external commands,
ghc-api, or whatever).

This would make experimenting with things like this (or cabal sandbox)
easier and possibly ease upgrades.

allbery.b at                                  ballbery at
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad