What's next?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 5 10:33:04 CEST 2013

| > Can I ask what the Cabal team's position is with respect to the
| question of allowing the same package to be installed several times,
| each compiled against a different collection of dependencies?
|
| I think that we all agree that in the long term a Nix-like package
| database is the ideal solution to the "Cabal hell" problem (I even
| mentioned this in the "Future Work" section of the post you linked).
| However, it seems to be much harder to implement than sandboxes.

I have not read the full GSoC page (thanks for that link), but are you all convinced that it *needs* to be that hard?

The fundamental idea is, after all, so simple!  (I could elaborate.)  Perhaps the GSoc project was trying to be more ambitious.

Or maybe I'm simply under-estimating.  But fundamentally it seems simple, so I'm suggesting we should perhaps try a bit harder to ferret out the underlying simplicity rather than assuming it must be hard.

Simon