What's next?

Mikhail Glushenkov the.dead.shall.rise at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 10:07:52 CEST 2013

Hi Simon,

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Can I ask what the Cabal team's position is with respect to the question of allowing the same package to be installed several times, each compiled against a different collection of dependencies?

I think that we all agree that in the long term a Nix-like package
database is the ideal solution to the "Cabal hell" problem (I even
mentioned this in the "Future Work" section of the post you linked).
However, it seems to be much harder to implement than sandboxes. There
was already a GSoC project on this topic last year, with mixed results
[1][2] (there was some progress, but the patches never made it to
GHC/Cabal).

Personally, I'm myself interested in working on this in the future.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4QmkyN28Qs
[2] http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/GSoCMultipleInstances