current hackage 2 status

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 18 01:13:00 CET 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 18:45 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> You may have noticed the steady stream of hackage 2 patches. The new
> server is up again at:
>
> http://new-hackage.haskell.org/
>
> Key points:
>       * We've got live mirroring going (sync every 30 min).
>       * All the old accounts are imported and the per-package maintainer
>         groups are populated.
>       * Package deprecation info is imported
>       * Distro info is imported
>       * Currently uploading is disabled (pending review of
>         authentication & authorisation code).
>       * Documentation is not imported (Ian demoed this before, just
>         haven't got round to it yet for this instance)
>       * The data backup system is much improved.

Oh, I should also have pointed out:

http://new-hackage.haskell.org/api

The goal is (and has always been) that all the data should be available
in appropriate machine readable formats (e.g. json), and so nobody
should ever have to complain that they want direct access to an
underlying database.

We're not there yet obviously. Patches accepted. If you want to work on
that seriously (I've just been adding the ones I needed for importing
the old data) then it'd make sense to switch to aeson and to do it
properly with datatypes and deriving json instances.