current hackage 2 status

Duncan Coutts duncan at well-typed.com
Mon Dec 17 19:45:26 CET 2012

Hi folks,

You may have noticed the steady stream of hackage 2 patches. The new
server is up again at:

http://new-hackage.haskell.org/

Key points:
      * We've got live mirroring going (sync every 30 min).
      * All the old accounts are imported and the per-package maintainer
        groups are populated.
      * Package deprecation info is imported
      * Distro info is imported
      * Currently uploading is disabled (pending review of
        authentication & authorisation code).
      * Documentation is not imported (Ian demoed this before, just
        haven't got round to it yet for this instance)
      * The data backup system is much improved.

In general the switch over plan remains that we run the two servers in
parallel for long enough to sort out remaining issues (with help from
the kind folks who volunteered as admins).

There was some discussion before about user accounts and the issue of
per-package maintainer groups. So the system I envisage for user
accounts is that anyone can make an account, but to be added to the
uploaders group will require approval from a volunteer administrator
(technically speaking there are not yet any features that need an
account but don't involve uploading, but I'm assuming some future social
features will need this). I do think the per-package maintainer groups
are important for security, and now that we can automatically populate
them from the old hackage data, I don't think that's a problem.

Still missing is a proper process for new account creation. That is,
account creation with email validation and all that. There's a couple of
options here. We can build it into the server, or we can make a separate
page/script to do that (which would make accounts using the appropriate
curl -X PUT commands against the server).

--
Duncan Coutts, Haskell Consultant