Specifying dependencies on Haskell code

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Sat May 3 09:35:23 EDT 2008

On 2 maj 2008, at 11.27, apfelmus wrote:

> Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> Thomas Schilling wrote:
>>>
>>> For example, if we write a program that uses the function
>>> 'Foo.foo'  contained in package 'foo' and we happen to have used
>>> 'foo-0.42' for  testing of our program.  Then, given the
>>> knowledge that 'Foo.foo' was  introduced in 'foo-0.23' and
>>> changed semantics in 'foo-2.0' then we  know that 'foo >= 0.23 &&
>>> < 2.0' is the correct and complete  dependency description.
>
> I would go even further and simply use "my program 'bar' compiles
> with foo-0.42" as dependency description. In other words, whether
> the package foo-0.23 can be used to supply this dependency or not
> will be determined when somebody else tries to compile Bar with it.
>
> In both cases, the basic idea is that the library user should *not*
> think about library versions, he just uses the one that is in scope
> on his system. Figuring out which other versions can be substituted
> is the job of the library author. In other words, the burden of
> proof is shifted from the user ("will my program compile with
> foo-1.1?") to the author ("which versions of my library are
> compatible?"), where it belongs.

I think we mean the same thing.  If I write a program and test it
against a specific version of a library then my program's source code
and knowledge about which specific versions of libraries I used, most
of the time, contains *all* the information necessary to determine
which other library versions it can be built with.

 From the source code we need information about what is imported,
from the library author we need a *formal* changelog.  This changelog
describes for each released version what part of the interface and
semantics have changed.

The problem here is, of course, that this is a lot of information to
provide.  Furthermore, I think we need information about imports from
the library user, if we ignore this, then the PVP is *exactly* what
we need. The PVP describes when things *could* break, but it does so
in an extremely pessimistic way.  If we have information about what
exactly changed and what is used by a particular library, we can find
out what the exact version range is.  For example, if we build our
package against foo-0.42 and bar-2.3 and both packages follow the PVP
then the following will trivially be true:

   build-depends: foo-0.42.*, bar-2.3.*

where "-X.Y.*" is a shortcut for ">= X.Y && < X.(Y+1)".  The problem
is that this is extremely pessimistic, so we have to manually check
whenever a new version of a dependency comes out and update the
"known-to-work-with"-range.  With more information (obtained mostly
by tools) we can automate this process, and, in fact, both approaches
can co-exist.

>> However it would only help for the development _history_, we still
>> have
>> no solution for the problem of packages being renamed (or modules
>> moving
>> between packages) breaking other existing packages. Though
>> similarly we
>> have no solution to the problem of modules being renamed. Perhaps
>> it's
>> just that we have not done much module renaming recently so people
>> don't
>> see it as an issue.
>
> With the approach above, it's possible to handle package/module
> renaming. For instance, if the package 'foo' is split into 'f-0.1'
> and 'oo-0.1' at some point, we can still use the union of these two
> to fulfill the old dependency 'foo-0.42'.

This is kind of the same like using a "virtual package" that is
simply a re-export of other packages.  This would help a lot with our
current problems with the base split (which will continue, as base
will be split up even further).

> In other words, the basic model is that a module/package like 'bar'
> with a dependency like 'foo-0.42' as just a function that maps a
> value of the same type (= export list) as 'foo-0.42' to another
> value (namely the set of exports of 'bar'). So, we can compile for
> instance
>
>   bar (foo-0.42)
>
> or
>
>   bar (f-0.1 `union` oo-0.1)
>
> Of course, the problems are
>
>  1) specifying the types of the parameters,
>  2) automatically choosing good parameters.
>
> For 1), one could use a very detailed import list, but I think that
> this feels wrong. I mean, if I have to specify the imports myself,
> why did I import foo-0.42 in the first place? Put differently, when
> I say 'import Data.Map' I want to import both its implementation
> and the interface. So, I argue that the goal is to allow type
> specifications of the form 'same type as foo-0.42'.
>
> Problem 2) exists because if I have foo-0.5 on in scope on my
> system and a package lists foo-0.42 as a dependency, the compiler
> should somehow figure out that he can use foo-0.5 as argument. Of
> course, it will be tricky/impossible to figure out that  f-0.1
> `union` oo-0.1  is a valid argument, too.
>

> So, the task would be to develop a formalism, i.e. some kind of
> "lambda calculus for modules" that can handle problems 1) and 2).
> The formalism should be simple to understand and use yet powerful,
> just like our beloved lambda calculus.
>

> A potential pitfall to any solution is that name and version number
> don't identify a compiled package uniquely! For instance,
>
>   foo-0.3 (bytestring-1.1)
>
> is very different from
>
>   foo-0.3 (bytestring-1.2)
>
> if foo exports the ByteString type. That's the diamond import
> problem. In other words,  foo-0.3  is always the same function, but
> the evaluated results are not.

I think a formal changelog can also help with renaming (even of
exported entities), but, I agree, for all this to work we need to
formalise it first, and then build tools to automate most of the work.

/ Thomas
--
My shadow / Change is coming. / Now is my time. / Listen to my muscle
memory. / Contemplate what I've been clinging to. / Forty-six and two