patch applied (cabal): First pass at parsing .cabal files as UTF8

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Feb 25 18:04:01 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:11:50PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 11:41 +0000, Ross Paterson wrote:
>
> > I don't follow you there.  There's a copy of the .cabal file inside the
> > tarball, which you say you're not changing, but it is the tarball that
> > people will download and build.
>
> True, however when planning what to install, cabal-install at least will
> use the .cabal file from the index, so any fixes to deps etc will be
> taken into account. We would also encourage people writing tools to
> convert cabal packages to distro packages to use the .cabal file from
> the index.

For what it's worth, I agree with Ross (if I understand his position
correctly, at any rate): I don't think we should be changing the
external cabal file, nor expecting distributions to use any external
changes. If changes are needed then someone should do a new upload, with
a different version number.

Thanks
Ian