patch applied (cabal): First pass at parsing .cabal files as UTF8

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Feb 25 16:11:50 EST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 11:41 +0000, Ross Paterson wrote:

> I don't follow you there.  There's a copy of the .cabal file inside the
> tarball, which you say you're not changing, but it is the tarball that
> people will download and build.

True, however when planning what to install, cabal-install at least will
use the .cabal file from the index, so any fixes to deps etc will be
taken into account. We would also encourage people writing tools to
convert cabal packages to distro packages to use the .cabal file from
the index.

> Should the pristine used by secondary distributions include the modified
> cabal file, and if so should they include a timestamp in the version
> number?

Not sure. In gentoo they use an extra revision number for the ebuild
itself that is distinct from the version of the package. If we want to
create derivative package sets we may want a revision number or
timestamp.