Cabal bugs/oddities

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 13 19:26:23 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 22:55 +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi
>
> >  I presume this is on Windows. What version of Cabal were you using?
>
> HEAD whenever the original message was sent.

Ok.

> Windows is always a safe bet with me :-)

Of course :-)

> >  > Bug 1:
> >  > cabal install worked the first time, running it a second time fails.
> >
> >  Hmm. Nothing obvious from the log and it works for me on Linux. I'll
> >  have to try it on Windows.
>
> Its entirely possible its a bug in ghc-pkg rather than cabal. Perhaps
> those pesky .manifest files are still floating around breaking
> something.

When I get back from the hackathon I'll give it a go. Could you report
it anyway so we don't forget and in case any other windows users can add
any details.

> >  Bug 2:
> >  Please file a ticket for this one.
>
> Done #266

Thanks.

> >  > Bug 3:
> >  > Cabal upload doesn't work:
> >  >
> >  > $ cabal upload
> >  > Username: ...
> >  > Password: ....
> >
> >  You reported this one before and I fixed it:
>
> Yeah, but when I tried again it didn't work still. I wonder why - its
> possible one of the versions isn't as up to date as I think.
> Otherwise, it may still be an issue - did you push the patch?

Definitely pushed. You're sure you rebuilt and installed cabal-install?

$ cabal upload
cabal: the 'upload' command expects one or more .tar.gz packages.
$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.4.6
using version 1.3.10 of the Cabal library

> >  > $ cabal upload dist
> >  > E:\Neil\homeomorphic>cabal upload dist\homeomorphic-0.1.tar.gz
> >  > Hackage username: NeilMitchell
> >  > Hackage password: yoda
> >  > Uploading dist\homeomorphic-0.1.tar.gz...
> >  > ERROR: dist\homeomorphic-0.1.tar.gz: 400 Error in upload
> >  >
> >  > 400 error in upload - not the worlds most helpful error message...
> >
> >  Indeed. There is an error message available but I'm not sure how we get
> >  at it. Any ideas Ross?
> >
> >  Another ticket for this one.

Thanks. Ross and Björn have been looking into it which is great.

> >  > Cabal upload asks for your password in plain text. That one is
> >  > security related - you are asking for someones password, and giving
> >  > the appearance that you aren't overly fussed about keeping it secret.
> >
> >  I'm happy to add that if anyone can figure out the code to do it. It's
> >  presumably different on ANSI terminals and the Windows command console.
>
> getChar in a loop? You can always do:
>
> c <- getChar
> putChar '*'
>
> If you so feel like it. You can even use putStr "\b \b" to move back
> one character, even on Windows.

But not in emacs :-)

Ta.