[Haskell-beginners] trying to install libraries for Haskell School of Expression

DJ jakep at arqux.com
Sun Mar 1 19:27:51 UTC 2015

Yeah. I think there are a lot of us out there. I won't rant (much) here,
because I hope to get some help from time to time. Alienating people is
not a good way to get help.

But:

There are many things I like about the language, but I have always been
perplexed by the haskell ecosystem in a couple of ways. However good
and/or interesting a language might be, it is not possible to do meat
and potatoes development unless there is a good supply of
packages/libraries.

My first problem was that I often just could not get stuff to install.
The second problem was documentation. I hope it has improved a bit. I
was always flabbergasted at the (apparent) belief that a few lines of
API documentation coughed out by haddock are enough. But that's all
there was in a lot of cases. That, and "refer to xxxx research paper"
and "figure it out from the types". Hah. Any math paper that consisted
of just the equations sorted in alphabetical order would not be well
received, I think.

I really admired that fact that Michael Snoyman wrote a book about
Yesod. For all I know he may not have kept the book up, but at least he
realized that people needed an explanation of how to use his software.

Well, back to work. I am going to give haskell another try for sure.
It's just too tempting to give up on. If it doesn't work, the next stop
will be sml or ocaml.

Best,

- DJ -