[Haskell-beginners] trying to install libraries for Haskell School of Expression

emacstheviking objitsu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 14:56:44 UTC 2015

I feel your pain...

> Confession: I abandoned Haskell two years ago because of frustration with
> cabal and hackage. I decided to get back to the language today, and to
> start with Haskell School of Expression. I immediately run into the problem
> that the first thing I try to install with cabal does not work.
>
> It is the same reason I have stopped using it. It's a real shame. Those
with better education and understanding than mine should be concerned that
the uptake of the language is stunted by its package manager.

I love Haskell. I have taught myself (the beginnings at least) of group
theory just to better comprehend the mindset of monads. For that alone I am
glad I learned Haskell as it has rekindled my interest in maths!

> Thanks for any help. Please tell me things are not just as bad now as they
> were when I left ;-)
>
> This mail seems to indicate to me that "cabal hell" is here for some time
to come...