[Haskell-beginners] Made a video sharing my Haskell workflow and thought process while hacking on a library I wrote

Nadir Sampaoli nadirsampaoli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 12:42:40 UTC 2014

Hello,

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6oaO8x2VY
>
> --- Chris

I am just a Haskell beginner/hobbyist; so it comes as a positive
surprise that my workflow isn't much different from what I've seen in
the video.
What I'm not sure of is if the case in study is representative of what
most of Haskell development consist of or if it's just one aspect: I
refer to the fact that the video mostly consisted of writing a binding
to a particular JSON object structure.

I was expecting to see a large use of things like Monad Reader and
State and Transformers and Lenses and stuff I don't understand: did
you try to keep them away from this recording on purpose or they don't
actually come up in real work as often as they seem to do to "an
outside observer" like me?

It was certainly interesting to see how to add type safety for
something which is as far from type safety as you can go (I'm clearly
referring to JS objects :P). This seems an important aspect in Haskell
development: getting into type-safety as soon as possible in these
kinds of translations.

The most important thing about this kind of video, as far as I'm
concerned, is seeing how someone else (and, most importantly, someone
experienced) works. As I said, I'm a hobbyist, so when I play with
Haskell I'm alone 100% of the time and have a hard time seeing where I
could do better and what parts should I focus more.
It must to be said that IRC and blogs are undoubtedly a big help, but
what I, as a beginner, am mostly looking for, is a visual witness of
actual, hands-on workflow process and especially the reasoning that
backs up the act of writing code (and not some made-up examples like
list manipulations et similia).

So, yes, this video was certainly instructive and I'd like to see more!

Thank you,
Nadir