[Haskell-beginners] PHP vs Haskell... a challenge!

Patrick Lynch kmandpjlynch at verizon.net
Fri Mar 18 16:13:10 CET 2011

Good morning,

Thanks for the link
http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Brian-Beckman-Dont-fear-the-Monads
I saw it a while back but forgot about it...
I viewed it again and it made a lot more sense...
I'm sure I'll view it a dozen more times now...it is exactly what I am
looking for...

Category Theory itself has, so far, defeated me...but I'm starting to
understand Monads...
I tried reading "Category Theory" by Steve Awodey, which is aimed at
Computer Scientists, etal and not Mathemeticians - but found it to be too
abstract...
I ordered the following - they have all been highly recommended...I'll let
you know:
  "Types and Programming Languages" by Benjamin C. Pierce
  "Basic Category Theory for Computer Scientists (Foundations of Computing)"
by Benjamin C. Pierce
  "Categories and Computer Science (Cambridge Computer Science Texts)" by
R. F. C. Walters

As mentioned, I am a long-time software consultant [30+ years] and I now
have the luxary of taking off some time and doing some independent research
on FP...
I've been studying Haskell and have implemented Hugs and Ghci on Windows and
on an Imac...
Surprisingly, I found the Windows installations to be significantly
easier...On Windows I'm using WinGhci and WinHugs...and WinVi32...
I wish that there was a Haskell editor but WinVi32 works well...
I was able to install the DB on Windows and got it to work, using "Real
World Haskell" as a reference...
I've been unable to get TK installed on Windows...spent about a week trying
and finally gave up...

I got interested in Haskell while working with an off-shore group that was
implementing a Asp VB.Net and C# project and another Ruby on Rails project
[it used Lamda Calculus and referenced Haskell].

I don' think that I'm going to make any money using Haskell but I suspect
that there is a developing market for F# and LINQ - which utilize Visual
Studio...
...so, I'll finish my Haskell study and hopefully will crack Monads and
possibly Category Theory and then switch over to F# and LINQ...
I took a quick look at F# and its syntax looks a bit rough...

I'll start my marketing effort in a few months and pass on any leads to you
that I find...

Good luck [to both of us]