[Haskell-beginners] Lazy vs Strict ponderings...

Sean Charles sean at objitsu.com
Fri Mar 18 13:29:59 CET 2011

I *think* I understand  about lazy evaluation and its effects on I/O and
that it can internally create thunks, promises, continuations etc.
whatever you want to call them, and then at some point there will be a
sudden spike in memory and CPU loads as something triggers a whole chain
of promises to be fulfilled but what I don't have a feel for is just how
serious a problem that might be today in say, a simple desktop application.

For example, let's just say I write a simple application in 'C' and a
comparable one in Haskell both running on the same hardware, but not
concurrently! Would the Haskell one ever find itself running out of
memory given the same input sequence as the 'C' program because of the
way it works ?   I know that the 'C' one could also run out of memory
but I hope that the sentiment of my question is clear; what are the
ramifications, gotchas and other considerations that using a purely
functional lazy language like Haskell you need to be aware of when
coming from an imperative / scripted background ?

Notwithstanding the fact that there are strict flavours of functions
that can be used.... but only if you are truly aware of the reasons for
their existence in the first place, is this a real design issue to
consider when coding an application in Haskell or is it only for certain
'groups' of applications. I guess the nature of the application would be
the governing factor.

Is it something one needs to worry about at all or should one just code
away and write the application and then worry!?

I think that having a clearer understanding of what 'types' of problems
and their implementations have on CPU/RAM would be a good one to have!

:)
Thanks
Sean Charles.