[Haskell-beginners] minimal Haskell concepts subset

Daniël de Kok me at danieldk.eu
Sat Jul 30 14:01:41 CEST 2011

Hi Davi,

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:17 PM, Davi Santos wrote:
> the first and best I found was http://learnyouahaskell.com/chapters.
> The point is that I spent too much time (almost a year) learning, and I am not -productive- yet.

I think Learn You a Haskell is a good book. But if it is all too overwhelming I echo the recommendations for Graham Hutton's book - it is short and simple.

Other than that, I can only say: write, write, write. I lot of things are easier than they seem once you start using them. If you are a Unix user, a good way to start is to write small utilities you'd write in sh, Python, Perl, or Ruby in Haskell from now on. Start with stupid, obvious implementations, and refine them as you learn new abstractions and patterns.

This worked very well for me, some of my first Haskell programs were:

- Randomly pick n lines from a file.
- Normalize sets of scores.
- Filter lists of features in files.

Just basic things that I needed at work, and I'd normally write a Python script for.

Once you have written some code and read about an abstraction, you'll probably think "oh, this would improve program XYZ".

Good luck,
Daniël