[Haskell-beginners] Installing HDBC

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 16:54:19 CET 2011

On Monday 31 January 2011 16:39:30, Kathleen Lynch wrote:
> Good morning,
> I'm trying to install Sqlite on a Windows PC...
> I'm using "Real World Haskell" as a guide in regard to this...
> It indicates that HDBC must be installed first and points to
> http://hackage.haskell.org/.
>
> I displayed this url and see the following in regard to downloading
> HDBC: Downloads
>   a.. HDBC-2.2.6.1.tar.gz (Cabal source package)
>   b.. package description (included in the package)
> If I'm correct, tar is a Unixy thing...

Windows can handle .tar.gz, but if you have the cabal executable (you
should have it if you've installed the Haskell platform, otherwise you'll
probably need it sooner or later anyway:
http://www.haskell.org/cabal/download.html
), simply "cabal install HDBC" [1] in a command shell should work (unless
there are some foreign [C] libraries missing, in which case you'd need to
install those first).

[1] before you can cabal install something, you first need to call "cabal
update" to let cabal know what is available on hackage