[Haskell-beginners] haskell platform

MAN elviotoccalino at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:41:19 EDT 2010

El vie, 02-04-2010 a las 10:50 -0500, aditya siram escribió:
> BTW I know that other people on this list differ but I think
> installing any Haskell-related packages using apt-get is a bad idea.
> Cabal is so easy that it makes apt-get obsolete.
>
> hth,
> -deech

Although I now download and install ghc, and ghc related code, compile
and install, and later use cabal exclusively, the advantages of using
apt-get ('aptitude', really) were quite evident in the past:
- Not too long ago, cabal-installing was by default user-specific, while
the manual 'runhaskell Setup.(hs|lhs) install' was system-wide. This
caused many problems.
- The previously stated issue caused hellish nightmares to beginners
when uninstalling some haskell-related package. This was very simple
when using apt-get (although it sometimes posed it difficulties,
relating crossed dependencies).
- (omni)present difference: cabal downloads and compiles code... this
means you have to (apt-get )install dev libraries... a lot of them, for
some fresh systems (like Ubuntu) which are clearly not oriented toward
this task.

Presently cabal is much simpler to use... or perhaps it is I who has
learned to master its configuration. 'stow' has helped greatly.