[Haskell-beginners] haskell platform

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 11:50:21 EDT 2010

You can just download and install the binary version of 6.12.1 from
the GHC website [1]. It will stick the GHC binary and libraries under
/usr/local. This shouldn't interfere with Karmic which installs it to
/usr/ and '/usr/local' is usually first on the search path.

Once you have your compiler installed Haskell Platform should be a breeze.

Once everything's working you can then delete using Synaptic.

BTW I know that other people on this list differ but I think
installing any Haskell-related packages using apt-get is a bad idea.
Cabal is so easy that it makes apt-get obsolete.

hth,
-deech

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_6_12_1.html#x86linux