[Haskell-beginners] haskell platform

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Fri Apr 2 12:04:35 EDT 2010

Am Freitag 02 April 2010 17:40:53 schrieb Irvin:
> Hi
> I'm having trouble installing Haskell platform using Ubuntu (Karmic
> Koala).  When I run ./configure I get the message
>
> configure: error: The Haskell Platform version 2010.1.0.0 requires
> ghc-6.12.1  It is recommended that you upgrade to ghc-6.12.1 however
> if you really want to use this release with an unsupported version of
> GHC then use ./configure --enable-unsupported-ghc-version
>
> In synaptic the latest version of ghc is 6.10.xx; I've tried doing
> ./configure --enable-unsupported-ghc-version, but make fails to set up
> Cabal.
> Any suggestions?

You could use the previous version of the platform, which was for 6.10.x.

Perhaps there's a 6.12.1 in debian unstable, IIRC, Ubuntu uses debian
packages, so you could install that then.

Or you could build 6.12 from source.

> Should I just try to set up everything piece-meal?

Or that. Install just the packages you actually use. That worked before the
platform, it will continue to work, though getting a comprehensive set of
libraries is a bit more inconvenient.

> Do I need to remove the currently installed version of ghc using
> synaptic before I try to use the 6.12.1 installer or build it from
> source.  Thanks.

If you build from source, you need a working GHC installed, so no.
Don't know about the binary, but usually there's no problem having multiple
versions of GHC at once, so probably you don't need to uninstall anyway.