[Haskell-beginners] Chessboard Module, opinions on...

Joe Fredette jfredett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 08:44:05 EDT 2009

Poor typo on my part... Though the `K` bit is just a quirk of my
nonstandard notation, `G` is the symbol for king in my notation. It's
just how it's always been for me, not sure why I never picked up the
proper symbology...

But yes, one should use _correct_ notation in a parser... :)

On Oct 28, 2009, at 4:00 AM, Tony Morris wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> 1. Kb3 e5
>> 2. d3  d6
>> n. a4->a5 e6->d7
>>
>> Where the first move is White, moving his knight to B-3, then black
>> moves his pawn from e7 to e5. etc.
>> a move followed by a * is a check, followed by two stars is a mate.
>> etc. You can poke at the wiki page for ACN for the appropriate
>> syntax.
>> My suggestion is that- often times we go many days in between moves,
>> and so I don't keep track (in my head) of the last few moves he made,
>> which can sometimes indicate weak points/general strategies. It would
>> be _really_ nice to be able to replay old board positions at will,
>> given this ACN notation of the game. Might be a nice (simple) use
>> case
>> for Parsec, and I imagine that most chess engines will have something
>> like that (assuming they operate on STDIN/OUT) -- even if the syntax
>> may be different. This will give you the "backend" to plug it onto
>> anyway.
>>
>> Anywho, good luck with your project, it looks nice!
>>
>> /Joe
>>
>> PS, Just noticed the little function you use to display the board
>> (and
>> stuff). You may want to poke around the 2d Pretty printers on
>> hackage,
>> they may make it easier/more extensible to render the board. Also,
>> `cout`? Someone's got a bit o' the ++ in 'em... :)
>>

>> [1] Okay, we mostly make it up, but it's _consistently_ arbitrary...
>>
>> On Oct 28, 2009, at 1:56 AM, iæfai wrote:
>>

>>> I have just recently finished a 'ChessBoard' module that is meant to
>>> represent a chess board. I could use some opinions and/or
>>> suggestions
>>> on the module.
>>>
>>> To give an example of how this can be used right now, and was my
>>> immediate goal, you can do this:
>>>
>>> *ChessBoard> putStr $ cout defaultBoard
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> | RB | NB | BB | QB | KB | BB | NB | RB |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> | PB | PB | PB | PB | PB | PB | PB | PB |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> | PW | PW | PW | PW | PW | PW | PW | PW |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>> | RW | NW | BW | QW | KW | BW | NW | RW |
>>> +----+----+----+----+----+----+----+----+
>>>
>>> I have not determined exactly how I will be making moves, but the
>>> logic will not be in my program. I am going to be using a chess
>>> engine in another process (I haven't chosen a chess engine yet that
>>> works on both windows and mac through stdin/stdout).
>>>
>>> The module itself follows, I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

>>> import Data.Foldable
>>> import Data.Maybe
>>> import Data.List as List
>>>
>>> class NiceLook a where
>>>  cout :: a -> String
>>>

>>> data Piece = Bishop | Rook | Knight | King | Queen | Pawn | NoPiece
>>>  deriving (Show, Eq)
>>>
>>> instance NiceLook Piece where
>>>      cout Bishop = "B"
>>>      cout Rook   = "R"
>>>      cout Knight = "N"
>>>      cout Queen  = "Q"
>>>      cout Pawn   = "P"
>>>      cout King   = "K"
>>>      cout _      = " "
>>>
>>> data Colour = Black | White | NoColour
>>>  deriving (Show, Eq)
>>>
>>> instance NiceLook Colour where
>>>      cout Black = "B"
>>>      cout White = "W"
>>>      cout NoColour = " "
>>>
>>>      -- error "..." might be useful
>>>
>>> data Square = Square Piece Colour
>>>  deriving (Show, Eq)
>>>
>>> instance NiceLook (Square) where
>>>      cout (Square p c) = (cout p) ++ (cout c)
>>>
>>> data Row = Row (Seq Square)
>>>  deriving (Show, Eq)
>>>
>>> instance NiceLook (Row) where
>>>      cout (Row s) = "|" ++ foldMap (\x -> " " ++ cout x ++ " |")
>>> s       -- thnx Saizan
>>>
>>> makeRow n = case (List.length n) of
>>>              8 -> Row (fromList n)
>>>              _ -> error "Row is not 8 squares"
>>>
>>> makeColouredSquares n c = makeRow $ map makeSquare (zip n (replicate
>>> 8 c))
>>>
>>> makeSquare (n,c) = Square n c
>>>
>>> pawns = [Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn, Pawn]
>>> back = [Rook, Knight, Bishop, Queen, King, Bishop, Knight, Rook]