[Haskell-beginners] Re: First request for references

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 01:41:37 EST 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:42:55 -0800, Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>

>On Saturday 10 January 2009 12:03:45 pm Alan Cameron wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I stumbled across Haskell while researching 'functional programming'.
>> I have done some initial reading and have the following questions:
>> 1. Are there any references to real-world applications using this language?
>> I ask because most of the articles I have found seem to be of an extreme
>> academic nature. I want to be sure that my time will not be wasted delving
>> deeper.

According to the Wikipedia entry for "Software transactional memory,"
in the "Implementations" section (see
as previously mentioned by Thomas Davie as well in this thread, "STM
for Perl 6 has been implemented in Pugs via the Glasgow Haskell
Compiler's STM library."

>> 2. Are there any tutorials with full code included which I can use on the
>> HUGS system I have installed?
>> I have found a few "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell 98" which assumes far
>> too much previous knowledge to be immediately useful to me.
>> Thanks for any replies.
>> Alan Cameron
>You might want to use GHC instead of HUGS, as it tends to be more
>feature-complete. For a tutorial to start with, how about "Yet Another
>Haskell Tutorial"?
You may also wish to read the book _Programming in Haskell,_ by Graham
Hutton (see http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book.html).  This
publication has often been praised as being relatively concise and
easy to follow.  There is even a relevant book review by Duncan Coutts
at http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book-review.pdf.

-- Benjamin L. Russell
-- Matsuo Basho^