[Haskell-beginners] cabal-install can't connect

Kirk Martinez KMARTINE at altera.com
Fri Feb 6 13:25:06 EST 2009

I'm trying to use cabal-install through the firewall at my work and I am consistently denied:

C:\>cabal update -v3
Downloading package list from server
'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
Sending:
GET http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/00-index.tar.gz HTTP/1.1
Creating new connection to hackage.haskell.org
cabal: connect: failed (Connection refused (WSAECONNREFUSED))

I built cabal-install 0.6.0 and compiled with ghc 6.10.1 without a hitch.  I set my http_proxy variable the same as other apps I use which are able to connect to other sites via http.  I even patched cabal-install according to these instructions<http://www.nabble.com/cabal-install-sends-invalid-proxy-password-td20976277.html>, but I still get this same "Connection refused".  Seems it's not even getting to the proxy.  This is on Windows XP SP2.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Installing package dependencies by hand is something I thought I left behind in the 90's...

Thanks,
Kirk Martinez

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.