[Haskell-beginners] cabal-install can't connect

Salvatore Insalaco kirby81 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 01:59:25 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Kirk Martinez <KMARTINE at altera.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use cabal-install through the firewall at my work and I am
> consistently denied:

In my experience, cabal-install ignores the http_proxy variable on
Windows, and uses the Internet Explorer proxy registry key.
Another problem could be that your proxy is using NTLM authentication,
that cabal doesn't support.

To solve this problem, if your proxy supports BASIC authentication,
just put the proxy informations in the Internet Explorer proxy dialog;
you have to do it even if there's the "automatic proxy configuration"
setting, as cabal is unable to use it.

If your proxy supports NTLM authentication, just download a package
like http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/ and then put its host and
port as proxy in Internet Explorer.

Salvatore