[arch-haskell] ghc-vis

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 15 10:26:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 07:45:52AM -0600, stef204 wrote:

> 13.10.2015, 06:44, "Magnus Therning" <magnus at therning.org>:
> >
> > The package `haskell-graphviz` is no longer in [haskell-core]. Right
> > now I can't recall why I removed it, but most likely it was a lack of
> > upstream updates resulting in other packages being kept back.
> >
> >>  During 'cabal install ghc-vis --disable-library-profiling' several
> >>  libraries fail with messages:
> >>
> >>  failed to install glib-0.12.5.4
> >>  Build log ( /home/($user)/Documents/hs/hswork/projects/101/.cabal-sandbox/logs/glib-0.12.5.4.log ):
> >>  Failed to install cairo-0.12.5.3
> >>  Build log ( /home/($user)/Documents/hs/hswork/projects/101/.cabal-sandbox/logs/cairo-0.12.5.3.log ):
> >
> > When installing `haskell-gtk` you should have gotten `haskell-glib` and
> > `haskell-cairo` too (as well as `haskell-pango`). `cabal` ought to have
> > picked that up.
> >

> Yes, I did--but cabal does not seem to pick it up. I am thinking it is
> because I am trying to install ghc-vis in a sandbox and cabal is not
> seeing the other packages installed via haskell-core with pacman but
> if I understand you correctly, this should not the case. Correct or
> incorrect?

The little experience I have with cabal sandboxes suggest that it should
pick them up -- as long as they have acceptable versions!

> > Personally I'm so familiar with the tools we se for [haskell-core] that
> > I often build proper Arch packages for everything :)
>
> I would love to do that as well but am so new to this whole
> haskell/cabal issue that not so easy to take the plunge, while trying
> to focus on learning the basics or haskell....
>
> I saw some info about cblrepo which didn't sound very encouraging to
> someone just starting out:
> <http://funloop.org/post/2014-01-06-using-cblrepo-in-arch-linux.html>

That post completely misses the fact that there already is a base DB to
use: <https://github.com/archhaskell/habs/>.  I you clone that you'll
only need to add the packages beyond what's already in [haskell-core].

> How would I go about building the Arch package before installing
> it...?

1. clone <https://github.com/archhaskell/habs/>
2. install `cblrepo` from [haskell-core]
3. run `cblrepo sync`
4. move into the `habs` repo and run `cblrepo add <pkg,ver> ...` to add
   packages (one or many at once)
5. run `cblrepo pkgbuild <pkgs>` to generate source packages for the
   packages you added
6. build all packages, in order (you can use `cblrepo build` to generate
   a good build order)
7. install your new packages

> > I've lately had a closer look at `stack` (available in
> > [haskell-core] as `haskell-stack-bin`) and if ghc-vis produces one
> > or more binaries (i.e. no libs that you are interested in) then it
> > might be a good way to build it.
> >

> Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by that exactly?
> How would I go about it?
> 1) pacman -S haskell-stack-bin
> 2) then?  How do I find out if "ghc-vis produces one or more binaries"?

I'd start with `stack unpack ghc-vis`, then `stack init --resolver
ghc-7.8` and see where that leads.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I would rather use Java than Perl. And I'd rather be eaten by a
crocodile than use Java.
     -- Trouser