[arch-haskell] Fwd: gitit status update and why are deps needed for binaries

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Apr 15 05:56:44 UTC 2015

On 15 April 2015 at 00:56, Leif Warner <abimelech at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do the current packages include the dynamically linkable libs? If the apps
> are going to require the installation of the Haskell libs they depend on
> anyway, maybe having them dynamically link to the Haskell libs, rather than
> statically link them in, would save a good chunk of disk space, not to
> mention linking time.

They do include the shared libs, but the executables don't use them
(to my knowledge at least, this of course *has* to be verified first).

The last time I looked at using the shared libs there were issues with
rpath, basically ghc put in a search path reflecting the build dir and
not the install-libdir.  This was probably in the 7.6 times though.
One would hope this has improved since.  The Nix guys did have a
solution to this, and IIRC it involved rewriting the rpath after
linking.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org