[arch-haskell] No need to bump exe-only packages (no lib)

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Oct 14 12:22:48 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 09:20:41PM -0700, Leif Warner wrote:
> Just doing an update, and I noticed a fair number of bumps to
> pxsl-tools.
> This is a /bin-only package that I can't see any other package
> linking against.
>
> When any of the deps change on a package like this, I don't see
> bumping the PKGREL as being necessary.
> Not sure if it would be trouble to exclude these types of packages
> from a PKGREL bump, and it doesn't harm anything either way - I was
> just thinking it could save some compilation time on the build side,
> and some download/install time on the update side.

It is true that there is no immediate need to bump binary-only
packages, such as pxsl-tools, when libs are upgraded.  I still think
they should be re-built though, as we otherwise may end up with build
problems in HABS without realising it until later.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
     -- Alan Kay