3 release policy and -Wno-compat

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:59:35 UTC 2015

Regardless of if -Wcompat is on by default or not, the timeline for changes
wouldn't change. The only thing that would change is that we'd be asking
library authors to use

-Wall -Wno-compat

which they can't do on old versions of GHC, so it'd become a bigger burden
for the lion's share of library maintainers; they'd have to explicitly
guard the -Wno-compat flag on the GHC version in their cabal file.

At least those who _want_ -Wcompat are explicitly looking forward and it
seems right to put the burden on that smaller subset than change the game
for every library maintainer.

Mind you if a -Wcompat user isn't looking to support old versions, they
also have no burden.

But, again, switching the default wouldn't gain you any time on any
outstanding proposal.

-Edward