3 release policy and -Wno-compat

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:13:17 UTC 2015

Edward Kmett-2 wrote
> Regardless of if -Wcompat is on by default or not, the timeline for
> changes
> wouldn't change. The only thing that would change is that we'd be asking
> library authors to use
>
> -Wall -Wno-compat
>
> which they can't do on old versions of GHC, so it'd become a bigger burden
> for the lion's share of library maintainers; they'd have to explicitly
> guard the -Wno-compat flag on the GHC version in their cabal file.
>
> At least those who _want_ -Wcompat are explicitly looking forward and it
> seems right to put the burden on that smaller subset than change the game
> for every library maintainer.
>
> Mind you if a -Wcompat user isn't looking to support old versions, they
> also have no burden.
>
> But, again, switching the default wouldn't gain you any time on any
> outstanding proposal.

I'm not proposing (at this point) to turn on -Wcompat by default, just to
allow warnings that can be turned off with -Wno-compat as an exception to
the 3-release policy.

Guarding -Wno-compat in .cabal doesn't seem like an excessive burden (one
copy-and-paste per package), but if the change won't bring any benefits,
it's a moot point (for now).