3 release policy and -Wno-compat

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 08:10:04 UTC 2015

Edward Kmett-2 wrote
> The current design is that -Wcompat will be off by default and includes
> warnings that are not in -Wall and that we'll be introducing warnings into
> -Wall when they become actionable under a 3 release policy rather than the
> more eager approach you are advocating here.

Yes, I understand that that is the current design, and I'm asking whether
this could be adjusted. Do we lose anything by the proposed change to the
policy, other than authors who want 3-release -Wall-clean code adding an
extra flag? (Or maybe I just didn't understand you - are you saying that
introducing new warnings are not a bottleneck for any changes?)