[Haskell-iPhone] ghc-iphone and GHC 7.0.2

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 02:33:59 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Stephen Blackheath [to GHC-iPhone] <
> likeliest.complexions.stephen at blacksapphire.com> wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> That is great, and, especially, welcome to Haskell!  As I said, I am
>> working on a new version of GHC for iPhone.  There probably isn't much sense
>> in involving you in that at this point.  I'll get you to test for me when I
>> have something working.
>>
>> I can't think of anything obvious for you to do now, but I'll keep it in
>> the back of my mind.  Haskell bindings to iPhone infrastructure are lacking,
>> so maybe you could look at that.
>>

> Cool.
>
> I'm currently working on taking
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Write_Yourself_a_Scheme_in_48_Hours and
> making it an iPad app. ;-)  Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow and be able to
> share it.
>
> I'm noodling with how to generically express Obj-C method invocations in
> Haskell in a way that would allow for automatic binding/ffi generation via
> Obj-C header files.  I'm not sure it's possible, but it'd certainly reduce
> the amount of boilerplate (it's also been a long time since I've done low
> level Obj-C dispatch snooping... I wonder what's changed. ;-) )
>
> I'm also thinking about how to use Haskell's GC to do automatic
> retain/release calls...
>
> Anyway... more as I make progress.

I think it's bitrotted a bit, but http://code.google.com/p/hoc/ was a bridge
that worked at one time with haskell and obj-c. might be worth mining for
ideas, at least.

What model are you thinking of? Importing haskell code into an obj-c
project, or running everything from haskell? If it's the first, my Hubris
project may be interesting (http://github.com/mwotton/hubris) - has a bit of
code for automatically testing whether haskell expressions are exportable to
ruby.

cheers
mark

--
A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent of a
black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets surrounding a