[Haskell-iPhone] ghc-iphone and GHC 7.0.2

David Pollak feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:14:29 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Mark Wotton <mwotton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM, David Pollak <
> feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Stephen Blackheath [to GHC-iPhone] <
>> likeliest.complexions.stephen at blacksapphire.com> wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> That is great, and, especially, welcome to Haskell!  As I said, I am
>>> working on a new version of GHC for iPhone.  There probably isn't much sense
>>> in involving you in that at this point.  I'll get you to test for me when I
>>> have something working.
>>>
>>> I can't think of anything obvious for you to do now, but I'll keep it in
>>> the back of my mind.  Haskell bindings to iPhone infrastructure are lacking,
>>> so maybe you could look at that.
>>>

>> Cool.
>>
>> I'm currently working on taking
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Write_Yourself_a_Scheme_in_48_Hours and
>> making it an iPad app. ;-)  Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow and be able to
>> share it.
>>
>> I'm noodling with how to generically express Obj-C method invocations in
>> Haskell in a way that would allow for automatic binding/ffi generation via
>> Obj-C header files.  I'm not sure it's possible, but it'd certainly reduce
>> the amount of boilerplate (it's also been a long time since I've done low
>> level Obj-C dispatch snooping... I wonder what's changed. ;-) )
>>
>> I'm also thinking about how to use Haskell's GC to do automatic
>> retain/release calls...
>>
>> Anyway... more as I make progress.
>>

> I think it's bitrotted a bit, but http://code.google.com/p/hoc/ was a
> bridge that worked at one time with haskell and obj-c. might be worth mining
> for ideas, at least.

Coolness.  I started looking at the code this morning.  Lemme see what I can
do to get it ported to run under GHC 7 and output stuff that's compatible
with ghc-iphone.

> What model are you thinking of?

Ideally, I'd like to do as much coding in Haskell as possible.  Even when I
wrote Mesa (http://www.plsys.co.uk/mesa.htm ) back in the day, I used as
much C++ (of the then-available Objective-C++) as I could for type safety
and performance.  I used the Objective-C stuff for UI and for external APIs
(to avoid the C++ fragility).  Going back to Obj-C and seeing how it has not
progressed materially since 1994 when I last spent time with it makes me
want to use it even less (wow... this is turning into a full-blown rant
against Obj-C... sorry for offending the Obj-C lovers in the audience.)  So,
my goal is to have as much of my code as possible in Haskell with very thin
layers for bridging to IB.

Simply Lift http://simply.liftweb.net
Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im