[Haskell-iPhone] trying to run the examples

David Pollak feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:17:01 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Ton Biegstraaten <
ton.biegstraaten at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> The issue about hidden packages can be solved by adding text to build
> depends in the cabal file. I added the latest version that could be
> compiled (0.11.0.8) but now this results.
> I think I agree with you to wait for GHC 7.x for the iPhone.
>

> build-iphone-haskell.sh running with ACTION= and
> PLATFORM_NAME=iphonesimulator
> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring Visi-0.1...
> Warning: 'hs-source-dirs: ../core/src' is a relative path outside of the
> source tree. This will not work when generating a tarball with 'sdist'.
> Preprocessing executables for Visi-0.1...
> Building Visi-0.1...
> [1 of 8] Compiling Visi.Util        ( ../core/src/Visi/Util.hs,
> /Users/ton/xcode/GHC-iPhone/visi/iOS/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/dist/build/Visi/Visi-tmp/Visi/Util.o
> )
> [2 of 8] Compiling Visi.Expression  ( ../core/src/Visi/Expression.hs,
> /Users/ton/xcode/GHC-iPhone/visi/iOS/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/dist/build/Visi/Visi-tmp/Visi/Expression.o
> )
> [3 of 8] Compiling Visi.Typer       ( ../core/src/Visi/Typer.hs,
> /Users/ton/xcode/GHC-iPhone/visi/iOS/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/dist/build/Visi/Visi-tmp/Visi/Typer.o
> )
> [4 of 8] Compiling Visi.Parse       ( ../core/src/Visi/Parse.hs,
> /Users/ton/xcode/GHC-iPhone/visi/iOS/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/dist/build/Visi/Visi-tmp/Visi/Parse.o
> )
> [5 of 8] Compiling Visi.Executor    ( ../core/src/Visi/Executor.hs,
> /Users/ton/xcode/GHC-iPhone/visi/iOS/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/dist/build/Visi/Visi-tmp/Visi/Executor.o
> )
> [6 of 8] Compiling Visi.Runtime     ( ../core/src/Visi/Runtime.hs,
> /Users/ton/xcode/GHC-iPhone/visi/iOS/build/Debug-iphonesimulator/dist/build/Visi/Visi-tmp/Visi/Runtime.o
> )
>
> ../core/src/Visi/Runtime.hs:110:46:
>     Couldn't match expected type `[Char]'
>            against inferred type `Data.Text.Internal.Text'
>       Expected type: [(String, t, Type)]
>       Inferred type: [(Data.Text.Internal.Text, Expression, Type)]
>     In the second argument of `map', namely `sinks'
>     In the expression: map fromSink sinks
>

> Op 26 dec 2011, om 23:51 heeft David Pollak het volgende geschreven:
>
> Did you check out the qcon_demo tag? Master will not compile. I'm waiting
> for ghc-iPhone based on ghc 7 to loop back and get master compiling for
> iPad again.
>

> I didn't, but I don't know that I should?

Yes.  The qcon_demo tag is the demarcation of where the code properly
compiled for the iPad.

Then I went and did a bunch of stuff that requires GHC 7 and also splits
the language out from the iPad part because Visi will run on OS X and in
the cloud as well as on the iPad.

You might want to check out https://github.com/dpp/LispHaskellIPad

That compiles for the iPad at master.  It might be an easier starting place
for you.

> [...]
>
> Ton
>
> Op 26 dec 2011, om 20:26 heeft David Pollak het volgende geschreven:
>

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Ton Biegstraaten <
> ton.biegstraaten at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Op 26 dec 2011, om 19:36 heeft David Pollak het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> The following code compiles into a running iPad app (no rooting required):
>>
>> https://github.com/visi-lang/visi/tree/323e70bb2ff0dd96cfa79262b29f978e63ccd4ff
>>
>> I did my compilation work on Snow Leopard with xcode 3.2.5.  The code
>> runs well (no crashes or anything else).
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Not yet :-)
>> After installing this in xcode it needs parsec
>> It needs parsec >= 3, so:
>>
>> iphone-simulator-cabal install parsec
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> iphone-simulator-cabal: The package requires Cabal library version -any &&
>> >=1.8 but no suitable version is installed.
>> iphone-simulator-cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
>> parsec-3.1.2 depends on text-0.11.1.12 which failed to install.
>> text-0.11.1.12 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
>> exit: ExitFailure 1
>>
>> iphone-simulator-cabal --version
>> cabal-install version 0.6.2
>> using version 1.6.0.3 of the Cabal library
>>
>> I'm not sure if I can update the cabal library
>> update gives:
>>
>> iphone-simulator-cabal update
>> Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
>> Note: there is a new version of cabal-install available.
>> To upgrade, run: cabal install cabal-install
>>
>> Hope you can help me further?
>>

> Dusting off my memory of the whole configuration fragility issue...
>
> I think I had to specify parsec 3.0.1 which was built against GHC 6.10.  I
> don't remember the cabal syntax for specifying that exact version (perhaps
> someone else on the list can help with the right cabal command.)
>

>> thanks,
>> Ton
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Ton Biegstraaten <
>> ton.biegstraaten at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm new to this. I 've snow leopard highest version with xcode 3.2.6 and
>>> so target 4.3.3. My iPhone is a (jailbroken) 5.01.
>>> I can run simple (hello world Objective C) examples on the iPhone (by
>>> `persuading' xcode to allow me :-)
>>>
>>> Compiling haskelldraw is awfull, more than 1800 errors.
>>> GetInBehind runs on the simulator but gives about 40 errors for the
>>> device, missing header files etc.
>>> Reading the maillist gives some clues about versions and adjusting
>>> things, but they are to vague for me. I also read that the stuff works on
>>> xcode 3.2.5 with ios 4.2.
>>> I downloaded this version from a torrent and I wander if it is useful to
>>> replace the current 3.2.6 with this previous version for getting the
>>> examples working.
>>> I like haskell very much and it should be fun to use it in the phone.
>>> I hope someone can give me some clues about downgrading or changing the

>>> Ton