[Hat] Support request for compiling hat

Thomas Davie tatd100 at student.cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 09:29:16 EDT 2004

> As a user of haskell, and as a student in information science at the
> university of Utrecht, I have been very interested in using hat since
> a while. However, I cannot get to compile it...
>
> First, I tried download the latest releases of ghc, hmake and hat.
> However,  hat refused to compile because it found the ghc version too
> low (although, in fact, it is probably to new).
This is caused by a little bug in the configure script that simply
removes the points from the version numbers to compare them, hence the
required version (504) is greater than the version you have (60).
Unfortunately hat won't work with version 6.0 either due to some
changes in the most recent version of ghc.  I believe it's being worked
on, but Malcolm Wallace and Colin Runciman are the people to ask about
that.  I would suggest using ghc 5.04.2, or nhc98 for the moment.

Basically, if you use the versions of software listed on the site it
should work - others can be glitchy

Hope this helps

Tom Davie