[Hat] Support request for compiling hat

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 09:30:52 EDT 2004

Robert van Herk <robert at opensite.nl> writes:

> First, I tried download the latest releases of ghc, hmake and hat.
> However,  hat refused to compile because it found the ghc version too
> low (although, in fact, it is probably to new).

The 2.02 release of Hat is quite old now and does not compile
with ghc-6.x.  The CVS version works with all versions of ghc from
5.04.3 upwards.  We do plan to make a new release from CVS at some
point, but, as always, there are many other changes we would like
to incorporate before that happens.  In the meantime, compiling from
CVS is probably your best route to a working Hat.

> Stop - hmake dependency error.
> cd src/hattools;      make HC=ghc install
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/robert/src/hat/src/hattools'
> hmake -hc=ghc -I. -I/home/robert/src/hat/include -fglasgow-exts -package
> lang -package util -DUSE_READLINE=1 SrcRefViewer \
>         -d/home/robert/src/hat/targets/ix86-Linux/obj/hattools
>
> Fail: Can't find module System in user directories
>         .
>         .
>         /home/robert/src/hat/include
>   Or in installed libraries/packages at
>         /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.2.1/imports
>         /home/robert/soft/lib/ghc-6.2.1/hslibs-imports/lang
>         /home/robert/soft/lib/ghc-6.2.1/hslibs-imports/util
>   Asked for by: SrcRefViewer.hs
>   Fix using the -I, -P, or -package flags.

OK, it looks like we are missing a ghc package dependency on the original
Haskell'98 libraries.  Try adding the arguments
    -package haskell98
to the HMAKEFLAGS at the top of src/hattools/Makefile.

Regards,
    Malcolm